Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Top Ten Things I've Learned in Panama

There have been several occasions during the past two years when I have been struck by the drastic difference between life here and what we are accustomed to in the States. The following is my attempt at capturing some of those differences with photos. In no particular order:

The Top 10 Things I've Learned in Panama

1. Coffee, for a baby, is an appropriate substitute for milk.

My host dad and his daughter. Yes, that is coffee in her bottle.



2. Power lines, for ease of maintenance, should be strung at waist height. It is not important if pedestrians can walk into them.


Panama City. This power line has been strung at that height for the last six months.


3. Kool-Aid doubles as lipstick.

These two girls in my community rub the inside of the Kool-Aid packages on their lips to change the color of their lips.


4. Just because you don't have electricity doesn't mean you can't iron.

Just use a fire with a peice of metal between the flame and iron to heat it up.



5. Filing your teeth makes it easier to remove corn from the cob.

They use the same metal files for sharpening their machetes to file their teeth to points.


6. Out of sugar for your coffee? No sweat, just use the juice from sugar cane, instead of water, to make your coffee.

A boy in my community sucking on a freshly peeled stock of sugar cane.

The tool, carved from wood, that they use to squeeze the juice from the sugar cane.

7. Once you're old enough to walk, you're old enough to use a machete.

That machete is longer than he is tall.


Machetes in action.



8. If you don't have a crib, just tie your child to the bed.




9. Cows, the crazy animals they are, need to be muzzled at times and what better to do it with than a hand-knit bag.


10. Stuff a dead animal and wear it on your back for good luck.





A few times over my service I was with an indigenous family in the fields when we came upon a praying mantis. The natives put the insect in their hair and let it roam around on their head. They say that the praying mantis will clean the insects and lice out of your hair. Unfortunately, I never had my camera with me when I witnessed this, or else it would be on this list as well.

Just six weeks left in my service. I will post one more entry in October, as I am on my way out of the country.

Jatwaita.

Choi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff as always, Rob. Sounds like you are preparing to take the next step on your journey soon. Sorry I never did make it to see you. Lotsa "material" fun in the States now with Wall Street issues and the looming presidential election- it will feel a might different than your past two years.

I'll look forward to your last posting, let us know what's next- hope we'll get to see you when you are back stateside.
Happy travels!
Russ Moore